Thursday, June 13, 2013

Acrophobia... Say What?


I clung to the bars of the roller coaster like it was all that I had left in life. I hated roller coasters, and after much teasing from my friends I gave in and got on. And what a "big shocker" it was to find out that I was scared of heights. The ride wasn't bad at first. The click click click of the tracks as the cart began to move wasn't too bad. It was a good speed, not too fast, and we weren't too high. Then came the thrill of the cart going up a steep turn up the tracks. Click click click the cart said as it climbed to the top. My sweaty fingers held on tighter as the ride paused for a second at the top. Then came the horrifying drop that turned my gut upside down, caused my body to tense, and my screams to escape.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this fear, and for those of you that do have it, I apologize. Not like it is my fault our anything, I just feel your pain on this matter. I mean really, I can't even stand on a five foot latter without feeling uncomfortable. Of course, this isn't my only fear, but it is one of the main ones. So this is where I pose the question - Why do we have phobias? It is probably all in our head. For me, I don't remember ever actually developing a fear of heights, I just always have been. But for other fears, they have developed because of a certain event or a series of events. Because there is no particular event for me that has caused my Acrophobia, I ask the question to you bloggers out there - Why are you afraid of heights and what caused it?

~Perfectly Imperfect Girl
(P.I.G.)

No comments:

Post a Comment